The Arctic Council undertakes numerous studies through its working groups, expert groups, and task forces. Researchers who are interested in working with Gwich’in communities or in the Gwich'in area should be aware that there are several processes through which research is licenced and a number of best practices have been established for how research should be conducted.

Research Guides

Best practice guides have been established to assist researchers working in our region, which we encourage researchers to revisit often.

Research Licenses

In order to conduct research in both the Northwest Territories and Yukon, researchers must acquire licences. 

Northwest Territories

All research requires a license in the NWT.  Generally, heritage and cultural research requires an NWT Scientific Research Licence.  For more information, please see the Aurora Research Institute's website on the topic.  Research with human subjects also requires ethical approval. 


Under the provisions of the Scientists and Explorers Act all persons entering the Yukon for the purposes of research must obtain a Scientists and Explorers Licence